Friday, March 9, 2018

One dog goes to heaven, a new one arrives....


I guess my life with dogs started when I was about 13 years old. We’d just moved to a Glasgow overspill housing scheme and we got a puppy from a neighbour, a small bundle of brown and white fluff. My brother (Robert) and I called her Patche (don’t know where the ‘e’ came from but I suppose it was because our father watched western shows on TV and we mistakenly thought we’d call her after the Apache Indians). Anyway, Patche had a ‘lovely’ life running off to the nearby farm and chasing the farmer’s cows and sheep (a bad move because like today, farmers can shoot dogs who are worrying their animals), catching burglars and generally having a nice life. 

Unfortunately, when Patche was about 5 years old, she followed me one night when I was going off to a football match. I didn’t notice her until I’d walked about a mile from the house and as I was going to meet my prospective new father-in-law, I told her rather sternly to ‘go home’. She never did and I have regretted not having taken her back to this day. Poor Patche – whatever happened to her? My brother has never forgiven me to this day.

Fast forward 30 odd years without dogs in my life and I moved to France to be with an ex-girlfriend who had decided she wanted me back in her life. The family consisted of Julie and her two kids, Guy (5) and Kitty (3) and Shadow – a 1 year old mixed breed mutt, so called because being all black, when he peered through the windows or ran about at night, he looked like a shadow. 

I guess Shadow was in the process of becoming the alpha male of the family but he bore no grudges when I moved in and immediately took to me despite the fact that I was travelling a lot with my job then and only saw him at weekends.
The wonderful Shadow

Shadow and I became inseparable. He followed me everywhere, even accompanying me to the local bars and restaurants where all the locals knew him as a perfectly behaved dog who would patiently sit under the tables waiting for a scrap of hamburger or a bit of ham. And then we’d go home to our house in the foothills of the Alps where he’d chase rabbits and run away from wild boars.

Shadow had a wonderful life but was obviously a breed which suffered from hip problems and sure enough when he was about 14 years old, his back legs deteriorated and we had to ‘let him go’. To me, it was a truly traumatic time which I tried to capture in a blog I wrote at the time. You can read it here.......   


I told my girlfriend, soon to become my wife, that I needed time to get over Shadow’s death but true to form, she went off to lunch one day and reappeared with the most gorgeous little puppy. Of course, she knew that despite still grieving for Shadow, once I set eyes on this little bundle of fluff I would be smitten and so it turned out, but what to call her? Kitty, my step-daughter wanted to name her Khaleesi after some character in the TV show Game of Thrones but having watched one particularly gruesome episode, I wasn’t convinced and so we named her Elsa after the lioness in the film Born Free.

Like Shadow, Elsa was ‘the perfect dog’, beautifully behaved, a wonderful temperament, faithfully following me around the fields and terraces and just like Shadow, with impeccable manners in the bars and restaurants. By this time, I was on the verge of retirement so Elsa and I spent virtually 24 hours a day in each other’s company. She was a wonderful companion, almost a reincarnation of the dearly loved Shadow.

Little Elsa


When Elsa was about 2 years old, I decided to move to Spain. A lengthy journey ensued with Elsa stretched out on the back seat of the car, patiently looking forward to the nightly stops in ‘dog friendly’ hotels. For a dog who spent all day, every day in the fields and terraces of the foothills of the Alps, it couldn't have been a pleasant journey, particularly as Spain decided to have its hottest summer for 30 years with the temperature reaching 43 degrees! Worse, my new home was not available for a month so we had to ‘exist’ in a small, airless apartment, the saving grace being that the beach, which Elsa loved, was but a minute’s walk away.

We got through that period by going for morning swims and chasing birds but it couldn’t have been pleasant for her cooped up in a tiny flat when she’d been used to roaming at will. I guess she took her revenge by having her first ‘wee’ of the morning, every morning, on the immaculate lawn at the front of the apartment block which rapidly turned a bright yellow and then died!

The month past incredibly slowly in the searing heat of the Spanish summer but eventually it was time to move into our new home – and that’s when we met Django.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pipi - The Alpha Male

Life in the Cortijo was wonderful. The heat had died down (a bit) and I was starting to learn things about this new area I had moved to. I’...